Donate from a donor-advised fund
WHAT IS A DONOR-ADVISED FUND?
A donor-advised fund (DAF) is a centralized charitable account. It allows charitably-inclined individuals, families, and businesses to make tax-deductible charitable donations of cash, publicly-traded stock, and, in some cases, certain illiquid assets, to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program (like Fidelity, Schwab, and BNY Mellon). Your contributed assets can grow there, tax-free, until you are ready to designate them for donation to a specific charity (like the UWP).
Learn more about the DAF programs that support the UWP by visiting their websites:
MAIN BENEFITS OF DONOR ADVISED FUNDS
- Simplicity: You can support a number of charitable organizations and centralize your giving without having to retain records for separate contributions.
- Convenience and timing: You can take a tax deduction now—when you make a gift to the fund—without immediately having to choose the charities you want to support.
- Tax-efficiency: Contributions are tax-deductible and any investment growth in the donor advised fund is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support multiple charities from one block of stock.
- Family philanthropy: Families can build a tradition of giving and teach their children God’s plan for helping others by involving them in the decisions about which grants to recommend.
- No start-up costs: There is no cost to establish a donor advised fund. However, there are often minimum initial charitable contributions to establish the donor advised fund (typically $5,000 or more)**
HOW DONOR ADVISED FUNDS WORK
- Establish your donor advised fund by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to a public charity that sponsors a donor advised fund program (examples include National Christian Foundation, Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund, Schwab Charitable, Vanguard Charitable and similar charities).
- At any time, make contributions to your fund, which are invested by the sponsoring charitable organization, which then provides a regular accounting to you.
- Recommend that various amounts be distributed to the Ugandan Water Project and/or other qualified charitable organizations of your choice.
- Receive an income tax charitable deduction for gifts to your donor advised fund.
HOW DAF DIRECT WORKS
DAF Direct is an online tool that enables you to easily recommend a grant to Ugandan Water Project directly from our website. Current participating DAF Direct sponsors include Fidelity, Schwab, and BNY Mellon. You can recommend a grant to Ugandan Water Project from your donor advised fund with these organizations by doing the following:
1. Select your sponsoring organization from the drop-down menu.
2. Enter Ugandan Water Project as the Designation.
3. Enter the amount of your donation to the Ugandan Water Project.
4. Click on the NEXT button, which will connect you directly to your fund’s website to confirm your recommendation
WHAT IF MY SPONSORING ORGANIZATION IS NOT PART OF DAF DIRECT
Contact your sponsoring organization directly and recommend a donation in support of the lifesaving work of the Ugandan Water Project. Provide the following information:
Ugandan Water Project, Inc.
PO Box 262, Lima, NY 14485
- Federal Taxpayer Identification Number: 27-1481728
- Gift amount:
- Ugandan Water Project contact information:
WHAT CAN DONOR ADVISED FUNDS DO FOR THE UGANDAN WATER PROJECT?
Donor advised funds provide an easy, flexible, low-cost method of giving which supports our mission to equip every community in Uganda with access to clean, safe drinking water. These gifts have been essential parts of the lasting transformation we’ve made in communities through the power of clean water. For example, you can also establish planned giving beneficiary designations for your donor advised fund as part of your estate planning and legacy philanthropy. For more information click here