In the 48 hours or so since our last update, our leadership team has reassessed and decided the best way to serve our communities in Uganda while also giving our UWP Tribe meaningful ways to engage is to move up our Virtual 5K to the weekend of April 4 & 5 and invite all of you to become sponsored participants.
After all, with so many of us cooped up inside and scrolling through any number of grim headlines each day, we figure why wait? Why wait to shine a light and bring hope? Why wait to reclaim a sense of community to do something good together… even while we’re apart?
The best part? You get to have total freedom over what your participation looks like. Here’s a few ideas:
- walk your dog
- load the kids in the wagon and take a stroll around the neighborhood
- do a workout video in your living room
- or, in classic fashion, actually run/walk a 5K!
The point is to get active, raise awareness about Uganda’s water crisis, and be a part equipping as many communities with clean water in 2020 as we can! After all, the communities where UWP works are among the most vulnerable to this pandemic and need access to clean water for hygiene and sanitation purposes now more than ever.
Step 1: Register
- Registration through April 5, $50 minimum fundraising goal
- Register early to guarantee your t-shirt & bib
- Invite friends and family around the world to participate or donate to your sponsored runner campaign
- T-shirts & bibs will be mailed to you before April 4
- Registration will remain open through April 5
Step 2: Get Active! (April 4-5)
- Take your dog for a walk
- Go for a jog & video call a friend across the country
- Sit on the couch with your family and watch a nature documentary
- Train for that half marathon you’ve been talking about doing
- If you’re serious about running a 5K, you can upload your results to our website between April 4-5 and we’ll keep track of the top finishers in each age category
Step 3: Celebrate!
- Snap a photo during your Virtual 5K and share it on social media!
- Use our hashtag #uwp5k so we can see the far-reaching connectivity of our tribe
- On Monday, April 6, we’ll announce the winners of our sponsored runner fundraising competition and the top finishers in each age category who completed the 5K
REGISTER AS A SPONSORED RUNNER!
We’re asking you to rally around the mission to give water & give life in Uganda by raising or donating $50 or more. That’s as easy as getting just 5 friends to give $10! We’ll create a personal campaign for you on our website so you can collect donations from anyone, anywhere.
The biggest way to grow your impact on the health & wellbeing of people in Uganda is to invite your friends & family to become sponsored participants themselves. You’ll also have a chance to win one of our great prizes that go to our top fundraisers!
Want to enter our team competition?
Enter a team name when you fill out your registration form and have everyone else from your team who signs up do the same. We’ll build you a team page alongside the other teams so you can see how much each person has brought in online. Whichever team raises the most will hold the highly coveted, hand-carved Ugandan Team Trophy until next year’s race!
Thanks to the incredible support we’ve seen from the UWP Tribe, so many people have registered in the last few days that we are just about out of 5K T-Shirts! With just a handful of sizes left, it’ll be first come, first serve. After the 5K shirts run out, we’ll still try to provide some UWP swag for you to wear during the event depending on size availability.
Sponsored Runner Prizes!
Want to participate in the race but do more than just run? As a sponsored runner, if you raise at least $50, your registration fee will be waived AND you’ll be helping us bring clean, safe drinking water to Uganda throughout the next year. To boost the competition, the top three fundraisers will win these amazing prizes! The competition gets fierce so sign up as a sponsored runner and get fundraising today!
Sponsored runner donations will close at 11:59 PM on Sunday, April 5th. We will be announcing the winners on Monday, April 6th.
1st Place Fundraiser - YETI Tundra 45 Cooler
The YETI Tundra® 45 combines versatility with durability. This premium cooler is infused with that legendary YETI toughness – it’s built to last and will keep your contents ice-cold even in sweltering conditions.
2nd Place Fundraiser - Apple AirPods
Listen and talk all day with multiple charges from the charging case, Apple’s AirPods provide rich, high quality audio and voice that’s perfect for being on-the-go.